PDA

View Full Version : Lunchtime 'specials' at some Adelphi spas

torrokey
02-03-2011, 03:10 PM
Sigh, think this place is going to be gone very soon. Heard that quite a few tenants tipped off the reporters and AV has visited Adelphi on Monday and Tuesday already.

Not sure what's their intention, I suspect, could be they want to force out some so that they can either take over the place for own business or they can have a 30% hike when new tenants take over the spas.

On a personal note, in central area, I would prefer Adelphi over the current People Park, amoy street or circular. So kind of sad to read the news by the New Paper

:(

Lunchtime 'specials' at some Adelphi spas
The New Paper
Mon, Feb 28, 2011

These are lunch favourites of office workers thronging the few cafes at The Adelphi.

But about two years ago, dodgy spas started creeping into the basement of this lifestyle mall at Coleman Street to offer white-collar workers midday "specials" - a code word for sexual services.

That's what several tenants in The Adelphi told The New Paper this week.

Today, about 10 spas, mostly run by sexily dressed women, entice dozens of men daily.

Their idea of a lunchtime treat is an hour of massage at $40. Pay the masseuse another $100 and she will work with her top off.

Two months ago, readers wrote to Chinese newspapers Lianhe Zaobao and Lianhe Wanbao to voice their disappointment that The Adelphi, famous as a place for audio buffs, had gained notoriety.

These sentiments are mirrored in online forums such as VR-Zone and SammyBoy.

Mr Li, who works at an audio equipment shop in the basement, told The New Paper in Mandarin on Thursday: "These spas that moved in two years ago are 'displaying a goat's head but selling dog's meat'.

"Do you think they really provide just a massage?"

This is not the first time The Adelphi has made the news for its seedier side. Last May, The New Paper reported a syndicate selling cough syrup illegally on its premises.

Fifty offices, including the Attorney-General's Chambers, are listed in the directory of The Adelphi, which is just next door to the Supreme Court.

The directory also lists 114 shops, including the administrative office of the National Council of Churches of Singapore, 26 audio-visual stores and 34 beauty care shops and salons.

Strangely, 10 spas in the basement, mostly fronted by scantily-clad women, are not listed.

A masseuse by the name of Angel, 26, said in Mandarin: "If it were all clean, why would a young and beautiful girl like me bother to give a massage for so little money? My income mainly depends on the tips from 'specials'."

But the Chinese national added that recent police raids have toned down the sleazy side of the Adelphi. This was confirmed by other masseuses and tenants.

When contacted, the police said that regular enforcement checks are conducted islandwide to ensure that massage establishment licensees follow stipulated rules and regulations.

Under the law, a licence is required if any premise is used "for the reception or treatment of persons requiring massage, manicure, chiropody and other similar treatments".

No licence is needed if a massage establishment provides only curative massage or treatment administered by registered practitioners from organisations like the Singapore Physiotherapy Association or the Singapore Association of Occupational Therapists.

The police revealed that 50 licensed massage parlours had their licences revoked last year, compared to six in 2009.

As for those exempted from having licences, 27 had their exemption status revoked last year, one more than in 2009.

Stephanie, a Singaporean working in one of the basement spas, said the spa bosses are now warning the girls to not provide sexual services to customers.

The New Paper knows of at least four spas that offer "specials".

When one of them was contacted, a staff member said: "If we were truly illegal, we would have been shut down by the authorities like some of the spas here."

Two other spas denied offering erotic massages too.

When contacted, CB Richard Ellis, which manages The Adelphi, did not respond by press time. A combination of privacy and cheap rent could be reasons why such parlours have sprung up in the basement of The Adelphi.

From the basement carpark, a customer could use the lifts to access these spas almost unnoticed. Tenants whom TNP spoke to said the rent at the basement shops is cheaper than those on other floors.

Mr Li said the monthly rental of his shop of about 65 sq m is about $4,000.

"That's half the price of the rent on the first floor," he said.

But it's bad news when cheap rent attracts the "wrong crowd", added Mr Li, who has been working at The Adelphi for six years.

"My business has dropped by about 10 per cent because of the bad image."

"Business at the basement spas remains brisk, though.

"They have a steady stream of customers during lunchtime and after office hours. The men are well-dressed. Some of them even wear suits."

Over three days this week, The New Paper noted dozens of men checking out the women in these spas between noon and 2pm.

While not all of them entered, almost all the parlours were busy during the two hours.

"Perhaps the only good thing is that some of these 'chee ko pek' (lecherous men) may pop in and check out my shop," said Mr Li.

At least one tenant on the second floor is upset that some men have mistaken her shop as one offering sexual services.

The beautician in her 30s often has to turn away such customers. "I have to tell them up front," she said.

But as long as the seedy activities are kept below deck, some tenants are not really concerned. Mr Ananda Rajah, CEO of beauty chain Atos Wellness, said his clients would be able to tell the difference, especially when businesses like his have been at The Adelphi since 1997.

Said Mr Rajah, 54: "Our clients are 99 per cent females. I was quite surprised that such spas operate within the premises.

"But it doesn't really tarnish our establishment's image because customers looking at our shop from the outside can tell the difference."

Mr Lim, who runs an audio equipment shop on the first floor, said: "My customers won't avoid this place just because of the spas. These parlours make the centre more lively."

"The management (of The Adelphi) has to make sure the shops are not left vacant. The men working nearby have needs too. Some just want a cheap massage," added Mr Lim, who's in his 40s.

A case in point was one well-dressed salesman, who walked out from a basement spa at about 1pm on Thursday.

"My back is very tired from long hours of standing, so I am here just for a massage. Nothing else," the middle-aged man stammered when TNP approached him.

This article was first published in The New Paper.

Chill
02-03-2011, 05:32 PM
Maybe because they did not advertise in The New Paper so TNP don't care and just report ? :rolleyes:

wolflust
02-03-2011, 05:53 PM
Seems there's alot of "good" moral people these days who can't stand such things. When there's reporting, AV has to do something. But have u guys notice there's more reporting on molest or rape in papers these days? The newspapers especially Newpaper or Xin Ming and Lian He Wan Bao all out for sensational news these days.

amox
02-03-2011, 06:36 PM
A lot of fucking jokers in the world. They have nothing better to do, go around complaining about these kinda things. Sibei dulan.

Ah he
02-03-2011, 06:52 PM
Seems there's alot of "good" moral people these days who can't stand such things. When there's reporting, AV has to do something. But have u guys notice there's more reporting on molest or rape in papers these days? The newspapers especially Newpaper or Xin Ming and Lian He Wan Bao all out for sensational news these days.

LOL.. bro relax. I dont think sg man so jia lat untill like that. :D

Ah he
02-03-2011, 06:53 PM
Today I also went there see see look look. Some the MP still operation leh...
I guess those provide bad attitude service 1 kana..

Ah he
02-03-2011, 07:01 PM
"A masseuse by the name of Angel, 26, said in Mandarin: "If it were all clean, why would a young and beautiful girl like me bother to give a massage for so little money? My income mainly depends on the tips from 'specials'."

Sabo sia...

krackers
02-03-2011, 07:14 PM
"My back is very tired from long hours of standing, so I am here just for a massage. Nothing else," the middle-aged man stammered when TNP approached him.

rolfcopter. No..no..nothing el..el..else. really?

Nithrax
02-03-2011, 07:20 PM
"A masseuse by the name of Angel, 26, said in Mandarin: "If it were all clean, why would a young and beautiful girl like me bother to give a massage for so little money?

This Angel must be really pretty or really deluded to really to have said stuff like that. I think she is delusional.

samsam33
02-03-2011, 10:21 PM
Really nothing lah ! After a good shot, armies gone, money also gone, so nothing left liao LOL

rolfcopter. No..no..nothing el..el..else. really?

Markky
02-03-2011, 10:52 PM
"A masseuse by the name of Angel, 26, said in Mandarin: "If it were all clean, why would a young and beautiful girl like me bother to give a massage for so little money? My income mainly depends on the tips from 'specials'."

Sabo sia...

May not be something "Angel" said, but rather something made up by the reporter...

Jivetalking
02-03-2011, 10:54 PM
That is life :rolleyes:

Avant
02-03-2011, 10:57 PM
May not be something "Angel" said, but rather something made up by the reporter...

TNP is well know for sensationalism, would not put it past them.....

Opaque
02-03-2011, 11:05 PM
The Mr. Lim in the report like so righteous, he really never go before ?

wolflust
02-03-2011, 11:22 PM
Already very relaxed haha... Just read newspaper or online news forums like Stomp... See alot of silly people complain about girls wearing to skimpy, Public Displays of Affection, etc... Are we really that conservative? Some of them really bo liao...

LOL.. bro relax. I dont think sg man so jia lat untill like that. :D

SEaNIE
03-03-2011, 12:51 AM
Sighzzz... Another playground gone

density
03-03-2011, 01:44 AM
they're just sour grapes, got no love from anyone lol.

Ah he
03-03-2011, 07:33 AM
I think those tai tai post 1 lah. :D

hiro_nakamura
03-09-2011, 12:01 AM
I just walked around at Adelphi today evening. a lot of shops are closed down already and become like ghost town.
i walked pass one beauty palour at B1, saw local girl with sexy look. wearing short skirt,i think age around 30. I went in and asked. she said "supposed to secret" as the shop is beauty parlour. she quoted me $40 for 30 mins...after thinking hard..i gave a miss...

:D