PDA

View Full Version : Is bigamy allowed in Singapore?

digdug
19-07-2010, 08:19 PM
A friend in Singapore showed me an obituary in the Singapore Straits Times today (19-July-2010) - on page 33. There's a guy who passed away - he had 2 wives.

I'm really puzzled.

:confused:

michaelrocksam
19-07-2010, 08:31 PM
After 15 Sep 1961 it is no longer allowed with the passing of the Women's Charter.

http://statutes.agc.gov.sg/non_version/cgi-bin/cgi_retrieve.pl?&actno=Reved-353&date=latest&method=part

This guy is lucky he was early.

Then again, u can have many in china. ppl dun care about how many wives u have as long u have money

digdug
19-07-2010, 08:47 PM
That guy is not old. He was only 44 years old when he passed away. How come he got 2 wives legally?

thomas88
19-07-2010, 09:37 PM
Bigamy is not allow in Singapore but Big Amy (.)(.) will definitely be Welcome..:D

pooren
19-07-2010, 09:41 PM
tot one was ex wife, but just never state in the obituary nia

michaelrocksam
19-07-2010, 09:49 PM
possible he married both, but he was caught probably paid a heavy fine.

He could have abandon one and married another, without officially divorcing another. These would be during the days of none computerized records.

see see only
19-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Ha.... :D

With lesser and lesser "baby count" in sillypore ...

It is about time we suggest this to our government :D .... and both wifey must give birth to 1 kids at least (unless unbearable) :rolleyes:

Who knows what will happen :cool:

Clayton
19-07-2010, 10:10 PM
Just because the papers state that he had 2 wives does not mean that he really had 2. One maybe unregistered and have an arrangement or so.

nishikado
19-07-2010, 10:52 PM
for a moment, i read it as Big Amy :D hahaha

josephjo
19-07-2010, 11:09 PM
Maybe his a pr turn citizen??? His already married in some part of asia that's allowed? Anyway I think the ex wife theory is highly possible

Bangster
20-07-2010, 12:00 AM
Maybe he paid more taxes.

blade
20-07-2010, 12:21 AM
is he a malay?

goodpartner
20-07-2010, 12:50 AM
Then again, u can have many in china. ppl dun care about how many wives u have as long u have money
I tot china also not allowed?

Even customary marriage without registration is not allowed by sg law, I believe.

Since we're on this topic, other than becuming a muslim (and move to an arab country), how can I "legally" have more than one wife? Anyone? :D

digdug
20-07-2010, 01:00 AM
is he a malay?

Apparently Chinese Singaporean. Not sure if he's muslim or not, but I don't think he is muslim.

chenzong
20-07-2010, 01:31 AM
Simple. One was divorced. And perhaps "taken back" into the family. 上有政策下有对策。

chenzong
20-07-2010, 01:33 AM
I tot china also not allowed?

Even customary marriage without registration is not allowed by sg law, I believe.

Yes, it is not allowed in China too. But one simply decide not to register the marriage and not carry on any customary wedding, to get around this.

Johnston
20-07-2010, 02:21 PM
ALl this getting many many confusings!!!!
So the simple answer is

as of now: In the year of our Lord 2010, this month july, this day the tenth, the time is 1420H, you cannot legally be married to Two Females.

That is All. :cool::D:p

jacky43
20-07-2010, 03:36 PM
Of course not allowed, this gen of high tech computers very fast get caught. Let me shared i think a 20yrs ago news article, don't remembered much was a rich biz man here.

I think he was 1 biscuit king, might b K Guan anyway i remembered the man got 4or more wives. Only 1 is legal married i think after the 70s, where it is a law to do so. Children many would like to highlight if i recalled correct.

Mr rich man did not encourage men after him, to do so i think he knew not all guys were rich like him. He boss he never tie, force but treat all wives and children equal. Anytimes they wish to leave, pls he wished her the best. Smart man, with that monies why marry another wive.

But what capture mine attention was, i believe he talked abit on running his biz. He said he reached co everyday, probably 1hr b4 his employees' checkin. This include his Managers, probably he was 1tough boss serious i don't mine working for him. Hope he give tips on prolong sexual pleasures, u guys know some old gentlemen r good bed partners. :D

samyboys
20-07-2010, 03:38 PM
today 20 july papers got apology for the cock up

Johnston
20-07-2010, 04:09 PM
But what capture mine attention was, i believe he talked abit on running his biz. He said he reached co everyday, probably 1hr b4 his employees' checkin. This include his Managers, probably he was 1tough boss serious i don't mine working for him. :D

I hope u dont really have the pleasure of working with a boss who can do 18 hour shifts and still be in the office earlier than u :rolleyes: Its not fun

jacky43
20-07-2010, 04:22 PM
I hope u dont really have the pleasure of working with a boss who can do 18 hour shifts and still be in the office earlier than u :rolleyes: Its not fun

Suddenly remembered this, that rich man if he is still alive today was that time, 60plus he got a personal driver. That is why he can make it to work daily, he boss anytime he wish to leave, 2hrs break nobody complaint 1.

That article he gave me the impression of arrogant, all rich folks were like this. Back to the topic, i think he was using monies to lockup his family. Everybody under his roof good life styles, why leave i won't too.

pdmmlvr
20-07-2010, 06:06 PM
In the 80's. I got a fren grandpa got three wives and father oso the same!
:)

nonstop
20-07-2010, 06:22 PM
Its not allowed, but usually at death, everything spills out.

If they include both families, means they knew of each other before the husband's death.

If they only include one side, one family is in the dark, and the other side is not included to prevent a fight over inheritance.

alan0338
20-07-2010, 06:48 PM
Since we're on this topic, other than becuming a muslim (and move to an arab country), how can I "legally" have more than one wife? Anyone? :D

find more chicken lor, they always call 老公前,老公后 ma.. :p :D

asdfghjkl
20-07-2010, 09:25 PM
in sg, only a muslim can apply to have a license to marry up to four wives. the granting of the license depends on how rich u r, family background, etc..

Floss
20-07-2010, 10:11 PM
Wow...you guys damn power. 1 wife I'm already bueh-hu liao...:o

auesing
21-07-2010, 12:48 AM
I am not sure you guys notice. In the Obituaries, the deceased younger brother also got 2 wives. One listed as Spouse, the other Sister-in-law. The Chinese paper list them under wives. But than again, if you notice, the father is a pbm. So, what can we say?:D

goodpartner
21-07-2010, 01:05 AM
Ok ok... maybe not marriage, but say I start spreading my genes around the world and father kids with different moms, what are the issues involved?

- is it illegal like in bigamy?
- any issues if all the kids carry my sirname?
- can I still register as the father for all of them without marriage?
- can they all cum after my inheritance after I die? :D

Not that I intent to, but look forward to reading some pieces of advice from those who've been there ;)

auesing
21-07-2010, 01:16 AM
You guys might laugh at what I am saying now, but at the rate couple are going with only one child or none. At some stage in the near future, maybe 40 or 50 years time, be it for economical or human sick, men might have to take on more wives and produce more kids. So the government might have to look at this option.

tomvoyeur
21-07-2010, 07:38 AM
Yes - polygamous marriage is technically allowed in Singapore but not encouraged & fraught with difficulties.

Go to ROM and see the board just outside the office - it will show u the price of registering a polygamous marrigae - price tag $330. ;)

chenzong
21-07-2010, 10:41 AM
Yes - polygamous marriage is technically allowed in Singapore but not encouraged & fraught with difficulties.

Go to ROM and see the board just outside the office - it will show u the price of registering a polygamous marrigae - price tag $330. ;)

Goodness, are you serious? SINGAPORE?

Koviar
21-07-2010, 10:56 AM

Polygamy is only allowed in Muslim marriages. Civil(non muslim) not allowed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matrimonial_law_of_Singapore