PDA

View Full Version : What can foreign students do?

GLHunter
22-10-2009, 12:05 AM
Everyone agrees that the cost of living is high in singapore. lots of foreign students can't cope & resort to FL & stuffs. i am thinking, can't blame much on them as there is lot of restrictions on students pass holder. If one want to earn a honest living? what can they do?

a foreign student in distress talked to me & i am trying to help her find a solution. maybe find a parttime job in some steamboat shop or giving chinese tuition. any bros come across any decent part-time can link up?

colins
22-10-2009, 02:41 AM
Good bro, I applaud your sense of empathy. You read too much into their plausible 'reasons', possibly planted there to obscure an objective judgement on why students 'turn' to FL-ing.

First, many FL/WL hold student passes. In fact a lot of them were on social visits and discovered this gold mine. To dig in they need to stay longer, so they 'invest' in a student pass. Not all but most of them. That explains why they only pay for year 1 and get predictably stressed up. Stressed up not becos they can't continue to study, but becos they need to extend the pass for as long as they can. Truth is, a lot of them do not complete their first year. This explains why private schools charge a lot higher for year 1, give a lot more freedom for the english prep course (3 hrs a day only for FULL time study) and do not give special concession (as easily as) compared to the entry requirement. Truth is, private schools and student pass FL/WL have a symbiotic relationship in a weird way. You need an excuse to earn money, I can give you the excuse through a rip-off. Ask around, most of the girls are in year 1 or english prep course. You rarely see anyone in i.e. year 2/3.

Second, ALL WOULD-BE STUDENTS know it is illegal to work. They come here with the knowledge very clearly stamped into their brains. Anybody who has genuine intention to complete their studies here either prepared enough money or gives up after knowing our regulations. Our govt also requires them to prove that 'enough money' part by asking for a document stating a min. of 30k SGD in their bank account. Most of the students sent back were caught FL-ing, NOT working in decent jobs (you think employers dare/need to employ them considering our job market?).

Third, put your ears on the ground. You always hear low-mid end ktv girls holding student pass say they need to find job. Have you seen any steamboat restaurants/tuition centres employing them? Generally girls earning more in FL/WL-ing go for working permits like S pass or Singer pass. High end ktv and whorehouse. It is a journey that they say they are seeking, but will never happen. It indicates a diversion from the things they're telling you.

If you appear decent, they tell you this story. If you appear playboyish, they tell you another story. All stories point to one direction, getting you to 'support' or 'help'. I have seen a girl whom I know in club infinitude who keep telling me she couldn't get a customer and left only 150 bucks. She even analyse how long that would last. For 7 straight nights, she 'couldn't get a customer'. Fell sick etc. She is studying for a degree course somewhere in town, holds a PR and I have seen her blue IC. Yet she always return to the same ktv and never seek 'decent' job. Along the way, updating me on all her sufferings and frustrations but amazingly never asked for money. I was wondering when she would die from hunger with that 150bucks but till today she is alive and well. How to reconcile this? She should've been dead but she's not. Then after a certain period of time, no more contacting me anymore. She knew her lies broken liao.

And for you, I respect your innocence and your ability in showing empathy for a person in need. But you are openly soliciting a collaborator to help her break the law. Asking bros here to break the law with her. Are you sure of what you are doing?

DO_YOU_BJ
22-10-2009, 02:53 AM
but this wanting to help coming from an old bird, to me, looks more like an excuse to justify his KC

thaivisitor
22-10-2009, 07:42 AM
Everyone agrees that the cost of living is high in singapore. lots of foreign students can't cope & resort to FL & stuffs. i am thinking, can't blame much on them as there is lot of restrictions on students pass holder. If one want to earn a honest living? what can they do?

a foreign student in distress talked to me & i am trying to help her find a solution. maybe find a parttime job in some steamboat shop or giving chinese tuition. any bros come across any decent part-time can link up?

Bro, whatever part-time job she takes will still be illegal as she is holding a student pass. If she's caught, she'll still be sent back.

So since she's willing to take the risk, might as well, as you put it "resort to FL" if she can't cope financially. I'm sure fellow bros here will be helpful to make sure she don't go hungry by sacrificing their hard-earned money for a session or two.

Unless of course you're keeping her? In that case, then you support her lor.

My 2 cents worth.
Tee Vee

GLHunter
23-10-2009, 12:09 AM
Bro, whatever part-time job she takes will still be illegal as she is holding a student pass. If she's caught, she'll still be sent back.

So since she's willing to take the risk, might as well, as you put it "resort to FL" if she can't cope financially. I'm sure fellow bros here will be helpful to make sure she don't go hungry by sacrificing their hard-earned money for a session or two.

Unless of course you're keeping her? In that case, then you support her lor.

My 2 cents worth.
Tee Vee

she is not a FL. I wanted to help her so that she will not be one eventually. U folks letting your imagination run wild.

colins
23-10-2009, 01:45 AM
Bro, its all about logic. There isn't a layer for imagination to run, much less to run wild.

Whether a lady decide to be a FL or not, does not depend on help. It depends on choice. She can afford to come here, any self respecting person would also think about actually staying and living here (logic right?). If I pay for the first year university in england and is confident on staying there till I finish my studies, thats becos I know and I have check that I can wait at tables in some chinese or indian restaurants to earn my keep till the end. If I decide to go, for example, barcelona for studies, I would have also know that the minimum wage system do create a black market for illegal workers and thereabout I may be about to earn some cash to tide thru my course. I would have INTENDED to go between the law and try out my hand in the black market.

Nobody in the right mind will go to any place without a lifeline. This is our own life that we are talking about. Risk plays an important factor as to whether we can meet our objectives or not. If the girl is intelligent enough to choose a place of study outside China (where choice of study is in abundance), she is definitely intelligent enough to have thought about sustain herself. That means like the barcelona example, she had considered FL-ing even before she came.

Now assuming you do have a place for her to work, and she knowing it is high risk to work for a meagre pay (like 600bucks), wouldn't she think its unworthy of consideration? Especially so if she had been thru that consideration way back in hometown and decided that FL-ing is actually a choice? How much can you do and save up with 600 bucks anyway??? To PAY for a fee of 7k a year, won't you need at least 600 bucks to save? Then how? eat grass and find accommodation below some flyovers?

The above only applied to girls who actually want to study and complete their courses. For the majority, sadly, its a beeline to FL-ing and the study scheme is just a matter of convenience, or inconvenience as they would put it in order to seek 'help'.

I dun think there is lotsa room for imagination on the above, right?

wulie
23-10-2009, 01:49 AM
go to dong men textile centre level 7 there got many PRC STUDENT PASS holder too good money

closetspacefull
23-10-2009, 05:13 AM
Never understood the whole concept of coming to study in a foreign land without sufficient funds...

Lets say you require x amount of cash to cover education and expenses for your studies. Lets say you have y amount of savings.

a) If x>y, then you don't have enough savings and you don't make the leap to travel to another country. Instead you save some more.

b) When y>x then you apply for student visa.

But anyway this doesn't help much. If your friend is educated (at least university level or has a fake university degree), might have friend's idiot son (9yr old) searching for a tuition teacher. PM me if interested.

And GLhunter, can you really blame thaivisitor, afterall your nick kinda sets the stage for misunderstanding right? :)

thaivisitor
23-10-2009, 01:54 PM
she is not a FL. I wanted to help her so that she will not be one eventually. U folks letting your imagination run wild.

Hi Bro,

I'm not letting my imagination run wild.

Firstly, I not incline to think that a fellow bro meets a PRC student at MacDonald, struck up a conversation where she requested for help due to financial situaation and the fellow bro decides to help without any benefits.

Whatever the bro think of, the ultimate is to eventually get her to bed and if possible, exclusively for himself. If the bro can afford to support her, he would probably have done that. If not, he'll try to get her some other means, be her saviour, and continue to have her for himself. That's totally normal and nobody can fault the bro as that is his luck.

But the fact here is the PRC student cannot work legally here and I don't think any bros here will want to take risk employing her, unless maybe with added requirements like letting him have sex with her too.

So will our fellow bro agree to it? If yes, I have a couple of friends wwho might be interested. But I don't so, as our fellow bro may then lose his benefits.

So straight forward, I recommend her to be FL, it's a win-win situation. Girls gets money, fellow bro can get his benefit and many samsters here will also enjoy.

Cheers
Tee Vee

K9696
23-10-2009, 03:06 PM

Let's use logic and mathematics to talk:

1) Working in steamboat shop - 4 hrs per day x 5days at $4.5 per hour - 90per week
2) Sat/Sun, give chinese tuition - 2 students at different hours 2 x 40 = 80

total - 170 per week x 4 weeks per month - 680 per month.

Can pay her accommodation - example - 500, balance 180 (necessity)..

Then what next?
1) School fee?
2) Transport?
1 + 2 = can cost 1000 - 1200 per month
Unless you are rich to help her... for these sums..;)

Others things not included.. so you can calculate yourself..
Tks, enjoy your weekend. Cheers

NewandLost
23-10-2009, 03:28 PM
If you are going to help a starving student then you should help your cousins or relatives or a SG student. Braddah, only SG man with PhD can get conned by PRC. Amazing no street smarts. Seems a sucker is born every minute here.

Ichigo_Kurosaki
23-10-2009, 04:59 PM
Brother TS, there are 2 types of PRC students. 1 type is quest for academic excellence and the other is quest for professional excellence. Your PRC student friend is from local Poly or Private Professional schools?

alphonse
24-10-2009, 12:37 AM
I googled around and found these:

Other supportive Documents (copies) required for Student's Pass Application:
1. Documents not in English must be translated into English and notarised / attested
2. Highest educational certificates & result slip transcripts
3. 2 recent colour passport sized photographs
4. Personal particulars page of applicant's passport
5. Documentary proof financial ability in the form of bank statements / fixed time deposits / savings account belonging to parents, siblings or applicant of about S$10,000 (RBM 150,000 or more for PRC students) and affidavit to show applicant have their financial support to study in Singapore
6. Proof of monthly earnings from employment or business e.g. employer's letters, salary slips or income tax statements of parents or siblings if they are giving financial support to applicant
7. Proof of applicant's working experience if any mentioning position, salary and period of employment
8. Birth certificate of applicant showing name of parents + parents marriage cert
9. Birth certificate of siblings if siblings providing financial support

I can see why the question of why the student struggling is contested by samsters.

Maybe leading a more prudent lifestyle will be a better option? It's like inflation - dependant on lifestyle. If you go out eat and drink at expensive restuarants, obviously your inflation rate will be higher than those who cook at home.

Ichigo_Kurosaki
24-10-2009, 10:44 AM
What can foreign...23-10-2009 11:25 PM Why do you bother whether these foreign students can survive here ? They should have enough fund for living in their duration here as a student not com S'pore to work & earn ($). That reasons of why student pass holders not allow to legal employment

Hi Brother, you are not so correct leh. :D

Generally, student pass holders are not allowed to engage in any paid employment, business, profession or occupation in Singapore during the validity of the Student's Pass. However, full-time registered students of approved education institutions are allowed to work while holding a Student Pass such as Industrial attachment to a local company. If you need further enquiries, you may contact the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA)

You never know, in future, industrial attachment might include HFJ or other entertainment joints as well. Heeheehee.

Cheers. Have a nice weekend! :D:p

makemecum
24-10-2009, 01:05 PM
choices
a) TS support her
b) samsters support her - ktv part time is lucrative and more viable *
c) FL

* provided she got the assets - look / body
TS can intro her ktv and inform samsters and we sure go support support:p
but seeing TS so concern cannot be too ugly la:D