PDA

View Full Version : Can someone identify this place in olden day singapore?

sennheiser
24-03-2009, 01:01 AM
bugis.. its the stretch behind burger king.

Shocking_vibes
24-03-2009, 01:02 AM
Is this place bugis street or johor road?

I always thought old bugis street had many cabarets and stuff like that

http://i41.tinypic.com/qx0yuw.jpg

Gixer
24-03-2009, 03:02 AM
Pic looks like Johor Road. Long time ago.
I could be wrong.

oOoLyRrAdoOo
24-03-2009, 03:04 AM
Yah,i think i saw an artical or something. Bugis used to be very happening place. Got chic hic somemore :rolleyes:

demonhunter
24-03-2009, 07:12 AM
It is definately Desker Road ... or some would call it Keng jio kah

AngusYoung
24-03-2009, 08:30 AM

Er.... Kin jio kah is Petain or Flanders Square. Although not very far off, its not the same as Desker road :confused:

BscBMD997
24-03-2009, 12:29 PM
tat time we have Green Taxis? looks like M'sia to me.

Malaysian Datuk
24-03-2009, 12:57 PM

I also go with your answer....but should be called Victoria Street back then......the original Bugis Street is at where Bugis Junction now stands. Back then very happening and haunt of sailors.

gofuckspider
24-03-2009, 01:21 PM
shd be petain rd..aka keng jio kah..cause if u stand same position at the entrance towards the houses now it kind of look the same as the pic..

Shocking_vibes
24-03-2009, 05:09 PM
shd be petain rd..aka keng jio kah..cause if u stand same position at the entrance towards the houses now it kind of look the same as the pic..

the thing is there are no houses there but stair cases there. They do the business on the 2nd floor. also the middle area is where the taxi is driving thru, i don't think u could drive your car through even in the 70s, btw they showed desker in the 70s and it looked exactly like it does today cept fewer stalls outside.

hotsoup16
24-03-2009, 08:00 PM
I think it was called Johore road but had been torn dwon many years liao

nuclearkid
24-03-2009, 08:03 PM
Is it alfresco kengjio kar? :D

tiewleilowmei
24-03-2009, 09:05 PM

Bro Sennheniser, you can read what Bro Shocking_vibes's mind before he start to post. Threadstarter Bro Shocking but first to post is Bro Sennheniser. Am I seeing things???

samlee8
24-03-2009, 09:29 PM

pardon me for saying this....
the taxi damn retro....

Big Sexy
24-03-2009, 10:07 PM
desker is what we used to call jalan besar.. it is different from banana leg.

johor road duck stall have a small compound area where people usually gather.. it is totally different from the one in the picture.

I think it was called Johore road but had been torn dwon many years liao

unless my memory fail me...the pic look like a lane in geylang in the 80/90s. i cannot remember which lor.. but i know it is near gay world..;)

tomvoyeur
24-03-2009, 10:59 PM
This is definitely a thread down memory lane. Too bad my memory does not stretch that far back. Is the threadstarter looking for someone in the pic? :p

keano
24-03-2009, 11:31 PM
along e national library road..?

FookKew
25-03-2009, 09:04 AM

Wow.... bro sennheiser really got 6 sense... the reply msg came before the TS post.... damn POWER!!!!!!:D

Angelsonline
26-03-2009, 09:14 PM
Woah... the pix looks like it is from the late 60s or early 70s... Waaayyy before i was born. TS, where did you get that from?

michaelrocksam
26-03-2009, 09:27 PM
Woah... the pix looks like it is from the late 60s or early 70s... Waaayyy before i was born. TS, where did you get that from?

must be from his grandfather or father when they were cheonging back in the roaring 60s with Halley's and the comets " rock around the clock". You see this is more like morning they are cheonging liao.

daryl76
26-03-2009, 10:24 PM
wow... where to get this pic man???
i grew up around bugis area and it does looks abit like bugis st houses.. just tat in my memory, oredi is tar road liao.. not like this mud road leh

breast-talk
27-03-2009, 01:23 AM
desker or old geylang

mac75sg
27-03-2009, 04:10 AM
The pix from one of the movies think call "Shocking Asian"if i'm not wrong, right TS??:)

darkclone
27-03-2009, 06:55 AM
The pix from one of the movies think call "Shocking Asian"if i'm not wrong, right TS??:)

haha i was about to say the same thing . the same story about one ladyboy with boyfriend and showed the ops that went about removing the dick right ? got show all the jap love hotel as well

Cheonging101
27-03-2009, 09:38 AM
This! :eek:

This is the missing back alley between Geylang Lor 2 & Lor 4 before Guille"mud" Road became Guillemard road!

That taxi is the old TIBS Taxi! And those Malaysian auntie FLs! WTF! So much memories!

But then... let me choose, I'd still choose China MMs over those in the pics. :p

mvkhem
27-03-2009, 09:49 PM
The place was called Johor road. It was very famous for transvestites and prostitutes. There used to be a back lane which was very very dark and full of transvestites. Many ah peks and men would gather round there around late at night,by 12 it was swarming full of ladyboys and pros, for a look see and a touching session... When I was around 19 that time, the bus interchange of service number 170 was there. We used to take the last bus to Mandai Camp from there. On the way to the interchange I would usually walk through Johor road deliberately to have a look around. Some times when i see a pretty thing I would usually go back when I was not on army duty or go there early before booking back to camp for a quicky.

gonggong18
28-03-2009, 01:04 AM
Petian/ Johore Road ...one of those area...Bugis was not lidat

Opp BHG those area was for AK don't have char bor... if I remember correctly, I seen a picture of Bugis some time back it was b n w, was not like the pic

nodoo
28-03-2009, 08:35 AM
Petain Road to me

Shocking_vibes
29-03-2009, 05:19 PM
SOme idiots sent me neggies and said i was a clone of someone cos my post appeared 2nd. Ask sam and check whether i'm his clone or not.:mad:

Yes this pic is from the movie shocking asia. I got the film but it has 2 languages mixed into it i cannot understand anything being said.

They also featured desker road and it looks exactly the same as it is today except the hawkers outside are fewer in number as the police have caught a number of them.

Some of you say it is in bugis, 1 mentioned in geylang lorong 2 and 4. Another said johor rd, someone said petain rd.

The buildings look like petain rd type, but u cannot drive a car thru flanders square where the gals are. Besides they have to walk up the stairs to the 2nd floor to do what they came to do.

Many of the gals look a bit mannish which means they might be ah kuas. Johor rd seems to have closed quite a long time back probably before i was born?

BKnight
29-03-2009, 05:29 PM
Just look at the spiral staircase, petain road still have those if you walk behind it....

Matafleur
30-03-2009, 12:56 AM
Yes this pic is from the movie shocking asia. I got the film but it has 2 languages mixed into it i cannot understand anything being said.

Bro, you try changing your sound system or sound settings to play either left side or right side audio only. Should clear up the language mixing problem.

Shocking_vibes
30-03-2009, 03:07 AM
Bro, you try changing your sound system or sound settings to play either left side or right side audio only. Should clear up the language mixing problem.

Tried already. No use. Both languages are heard from both sides.

ol'coyote
30-03-2009, 11:56 AM
tat taxi was the old SABS taxi...
SABS = singapore airport bus service...
if me memory dun fail me...
me tinks that lane used to be this big tree at the junction...
somewhere near ophir road / queen street...
and the area damn dark at night...
the place is oso all ah guas...

sennheiser
02-04-2009, 03:36 PM
kena zap twice. to clarify, i saw the thread and posted my reply. not sure why my post came out before TS's.

Booby Trap
04-04-2009, 10:51 PM
This place looks very much like Tiong Bahru areas where those low-rise houses are. It could also be Chinatown areas such i.e. opposite Cantonment Police Station.

bozocum
05-04-2009, 06:15 AM
Johore Road

dickrick
05-04-2009, 09:03 PM
I'm pretty sure it's not Johore Road nor Petain Road/Flanders Square. Cars could never drive through the alley. Somehow it looks like a posed picture. Maybe from a movie like someone said. Three customers looking at the "girls" in the daytime is unsual. And if was a typical back alley the "girls" were seldom standing at the doorway. Negoitiations were usually held with the customer at the doorway and the ladies in the house.
Furthermore if it were Johore Road, very little action went down in the daytime, it was mainly at night.
Just my two cents.

Master007
05-04-2009, 11:01 PM
Pardon me, but what's the idea? Just to identify the place ah? Me very shallow, please enlighten...

Shocking_vibes
06-04-2009, 03:34 AM
I'm pretty sure it's not Johore Road nor Petain Road/Flanders Square. Cars could never drive through the alley. Somehow it looks like a posed picture. Maybe from a movie like someone said. Three customers looking at the "girls" in the daytime is unsual. And if was a typical back alley the "girls" were seldom standing at the doorway. Negoitiations were usually held with the customer at the doorway and the ladies in the house.
Furthermore if it were Johore Road, very little action went down in the daytime, it was mainly at night.
Just my two cents.

When did johor rd close down? Was it in the 70's? A search on street directory does not show johor road in Singapore at all.

The scene is from a mondo pseudo documentary called Shocking asia. Although it's not a real documentary since documentaries tend to be unbiased while this film attempts to shock viewers, the scenes in it are real. The camera man even went down to desker road and filmed the whores sitting there in the 70's. They all ran inside when the camera was aimed at them, hence it was not acting, at the most those ppl pose for the cameras.

Many scenes involving singapore and malaysia. From tang kee to bapok gender operation, to thaipusam. Although i don't remember seeing geylang assuming geylang in the 70's looks like what it is today.

dickrick
06-04-2009, 10:37 PM
When did johor rd close down? Was it in the 70's? A search on street directory does not show johor road in Singapore at all.

I can comment on the Johore Road bit, if memory serves right it was the early 80's. By mid, late '80s the trans moved to Rowell/Desker Road and some to Petain Road. The area Johore Road was is now a dried foodstuff market opposite the Johore bus / taxi terminus.

ol'coyote
07-04-2009, 12:49 AM
I can comment on the Johore Road bit, if memory serves right it was the early 80's. By mid, late '80s the trans moved to Rowell/Desker Road and some to Petain Road. The area Johore Road was is now a dried foodstuff market opposite the Johore bus / taxi terminus.

u mus be at least in your late 30s to knoe these stuffs...
yes u are rite about the location of former johore road...

Shocking_vibes
08-04-2009, 02:41 PM
Here's the link to download part of the film.

Didn't know uploading took so long :mad:

RapidShare: Easy Filehosting (http://rapidshare.com/files/218768991/shocking_asia_1-3.avi)

Shocking_vibes
10-04-2009, 08:40 PM
so to those of who d/led the film did can u identify the place? I don't think the narrator stated the name of the place.